Thursday, December 1, 2011

What is it about A Christmas Carol?

At first I intended to ask if Dickens's timeless story was becoming obsolete.  However after 30-seconds of Google research spurred by semi-idle curiosity, during which I discovered 5 pages of unique links advertising upcoming productions of the play or musical or both (with two exceptions involving Doctor Who), I quickly realized that the answer was probably NO.  Nevertheless, I have to wonder what it is about this show that inspires such fanaticism.


Of course, I've read the story (several times) and enjoyed it.  It's classic Dickens and I'm a huge fan. But seriously?  According to my super-secret wikipedic sources, there are over 30 stage adaptations alone--and despite my automatic skepticism, I am inclined to believe, in this instance, that that is an under-exaggeration.  Not only that but it is performed every year without fail, often several times within the same community (mine, for example), by everyone from high school students to professional company actors.


So why aren't we tired of it?  And if we are tired of it, why do we still go see it?  And if we don't still go see it, why do we still perform it?  I think the truth is that our love of A Christmas Carol is one of the worst kept "dirty little secrets," as they say.  Sort of like the way we complain about the Wicked craze or the way we don't want to admit we are obsessed with Phantom of the Opera (although, as it happens, I've never seen Wicked and I honestly don't like Phantom, but I digress).  We insist that if an overgrown Tiny Tim tries to bless everyone of us one more time we are going to puke or clobber him with his overgrown little crutch or both, but we still go back for more every holiday season like addicts.


I do not want to diminish Dickens's masterpiece, but I believe moderation in most things, stage productions of A Christmas Carol being among them, is healthy.  So this year, why not take a look at the other great holiday rep out there?  For the traditionalist (although perhaps not quite as traditional as Dickens), there are several interesting adaptations of It's a Wonderful Life, including a couple live radio plays to add a twist to the mix.  For the musical enthusiast, check out A Christmas Survival Guide, a holiday revue that pokes fun at the "urban holiday landscape".  And for the more adventurous theatre-goer, I've been enjoying George Cameron Grant's collection of one-acts entitled 4 X'masa set of four creative pieces that offer a nice balance of grit, moral, and humour.  These are fun pieces to read, but let me offer this as a nudge to the production companies out there looking for next year's December material.  In the words of Arthur Kipps (I'm still coming down from the Halloween show), "have sympathy with your audience"!  Add some lime and coconut to your holiday mixer and give the Christmas Spirits a break.

No comments: